A Farewell and A Hello

January 4, 2017

The Waukee volleyball team has experienced years of success and growth under varsity head coach Steven Baas. During his time at the school he lead the team to many victories and helped them through their defeats. Waukee Athletics is losing a bel
oved coach to retirement.

After the successful 2016 volleyball season, Waukee varsity coach Steven Baas made the decision to resign as
head coach after being in the district for three years. In a statement released by the Waukee Athletic Department, under Baas’ leadership, the program showed steady progress. [Coach Baas] compiled a 58-59 record with two winning seasons and advanced to the regional finals this fall. Even with Baas’ legacy he created at the school, the girls of the Waukee Volleyball team still detest to see him go.

Team captain and senior Chloe Havermann expresses, “I really liked having Coach Baas around. He was a great guy and he was super easy to get along with. All of us could trust him with anything. We’re all going to miss him.”  

In the release, Jim Duea, Waukee Activities Director, stated, “Steve did a great job of stabilizing the program and turning things in a positive direction during his three seasons. We are thankful for his contributions to the program.”

The volleyball team will now be lead by the former assistant coach, Molly Turk. The press release states Turk was a defensive specialist and setter for the University of Northern Iowa Panthers from 2009 to 2012. She played on four NCAA tournament teams and was team captain of the 2012 team that advanced to the second round before losing to Nebraska. Turk has been a club volleyball coach for six years and was the Waukee assistant coach this past season.

Turk commented in the release, “I am honored and humbled for the opportunity to be the head coach of Waukee High School volleyball. Waukee High School is a premier high school in the state with a deep tradition of academic and athletic excellence.” She also added, “I’m thrilled to develop a culture of outstanding competitors and young woman, both on and off the court.” Turk’s hire will be approved at the next Waukee school board meeting in January, according to the release.

The team expects to go far and push themselves harder, even without the support of their old coach. They are excited to see if the new leadership will take them higher than ever before. The new year will start by saying farewell to an old friend and hello to a new addition.