The Arrowhead

Filed under Showcase, SPORTS

Waukee Wrestling Team Takes the Silver

Junior Kyle Biscoglia looks at the time on the clock, while dominating his  Lewis Central opponent. Kyle is coming off a 54 win season and placing 1st at the state tournament. Kyle is Waukee’s first state champion, and hold many school records.

Click here for a Highlight video of the Waukee Wrestling team in Parkhill!

On Saturday, December 3rd, The Waukee Wrestling team went to an out of state tournament in Kansas City at Park Hill High school. They dualed Liberty North, Park Hill, Kearney, and Smithville, who all reside in Missouri. Waukee also had a dual against Lewis Central, a school in Iowa. They ended the Day with 4 team wins, and 2 losses to Park Hill and Smithville, two of the top teams in Missouri. Overall they ended in 2nd place out of 18 teams and finished behind Park Hill who has the Missouri state title as a team.

Juniors Kyle Biscoglia (120), Brock Parker (145), Nathan Mcdonald (Heavyweight/220) , and Sophomore Anthony Zach (152) ended the day undefeated. Kyle Biscoglia beat a Missouri state champion from Park Hill 8-3, and Anthony Zach beat another Missouri state champion from Park Hill 7-4. Nathan Mcdonald was able to win a match with a pin against a Missouri state qualifier, where Nathan was outweighed by over 60 pounds.

The Warriors are on their way to a great season, as a team so far they are 5-2, and have 4 undefeated wrestlers on the team. Kyle Biscoglia, the first state champion wrestler for Waukee, hopes to make a repeat of his amazing sophomore season. Kyle’s only goals for the year are to, “win another state title and to go undefeated,”. Kyle is currently 1 win away from having a 100 win high school career.

Junior Grant Hemphill takes a deep single leg on his Liberty North opponent. Grant won the match by fall. This is Grant’s first season as a varsity starter at weight class 160.  He trained a lot in the off season with his teammates Brock Parker and Kyle Biscoglia.

Brock Parker was able to qualify for state last year, but finished 1-2 and didn’t place. Brock hopes to make huge improvements and build on his career as he enters his second varsity season. For out of season practice he, “started training right after the state tournament last year,” . He trained primarily with “My club Ubasa Wrestling and I went in the room (The Waukee Wrestling Room) with my coaches Brett Yonkovic and Jon Anderson,”.

Junior Nathan McDonald wrestles a Park Hill heavy weight wrestler that weighs 260+ pounds. Nathan weighs 209 pounds but most of the kids he wrestles can be any where between  220 to 285 pounds. Nathan enters these matches fearlessly, and is currently undefeated.

Nathan McDonald is a fearless wrestler. Every kid he will wrestle as a heavy weight will be much bigger than him. In Nathans opinion, “The bigger they are, the harder they fall,”. Nathan loves being challenged by bigger wrestlers, “Wrestling these big guys really tests my skills physically and mentally, but i know I’m faster,”.

Anthony Zach didn’t qualify for state last year but has improved immensely from offseason practices. He is on his way to having very promising seasons. He has wrestled many state qualifiers in Missouri and took no losses. He was named Waukee athlete of the week by his peers and coaches.

Anthony Zach scores on his adversary with a vicious single leg. Anthony is at the 152 pound weight class, and is entering his sophomore season. Anthony Zach caused many upsets last year, and hopes to cause more as his wrestling career progresses until he gets the recognition he deserves.