IT Olympic Victories

The game-design subdivision of the Waukee chapter of Hyperstream accepts the first-place trophy. The team prepared for many months, getting ready for this competition. Photo courtesy of Waukee Hyperstream.

When it comes to computer skills and other forms of technological prowess, the members of Hyperstream deserve a lot of credit. From the general meetings in which they experiment with and practice developing their skills to the competition the club looks forward to the entire year, the members of Hyperstream succeed in just about all their endeavors.

This past weekend, while the majority of the student body was preparing mentally, physically, and spiritually for Prom, the members of this club were working hard to ensure they came home with multiple achievements to be proud of. The IT Olympics provide the biggest challenge the students in this club face each year.

The Waukee chapter of Hyperstream competed April 25 and 26 in four different categories: cyber defense, game design, multimedia, and community service. Taking home a first place trophy in both the game design and multimedia categories, the group made quite an impression. It was the club’s third first-place in a row for game design, and the first one for the multimedia team; however, that’s because it’s the first year Waukee has competed in that category.

This is an image of the poster that allowed Waukee to win first place in the multimedia division of the IT Olympics. Photo courtesy of Waukee Hyperstream.

Hyperstream adviser Michell Hill offered her opinion, “I am so very proud of the Hyperstream students who competed at the IT Olympics. They have been preparing for many months.” She elaborated, “They competed in two very long and stressful days, but at the same time shared a lot of fun team bonding moments and laughs. They collaborated and supported each other in every way. I wouldn’t change one moment of the process.”

Sophomore Ian Coon poses with Waukee Hyperstream adviser Michelle Hill at the IT Olympics 2014. Photo courtesy of Waukee Hyperstream.

In addition to the above-mentioned achievements, the team’s community service project, the Iowa Student Learning Institute (ISLI), earned Waukee a second-place title in its department. Ian Coon, one of the many sophomores in the club, co-founded ISLI. This remains quite an accomplishment for the underclassman, and he shared the source of inspiration for himself and his co-founder from Dubuque Hempstead.

“We went to and EdCamp in the spring of 2013 and, out of 400 teachers, we were the only two students, and students are the man people in a school.” Coon explained. He inquired, “Why were there not more of us there to share our opinion and input?”

The sheer dedication of the various members of this club displayed itself clearly this past weekend. Be sure to congratulate these students, the members of the Waukee chapter of Hyperstream.