The Arrowhead

Filed under Beyond The Kee, NEWS

Russian Olympics Encounter Terrorist Threats.

The winter Olympics thrive as one of the most widely watched winter events. Though not as popular as the summer Olympics, it is still an event to be admired.  The Olympics starts February 7th and goes till the 23rd.  Sochi, Russia hosts athletes from all over competing for the gold. The U.S. team is set up for victory with their athletes.

This Olympics will be the first one held in Russia. It will also be the first to include a purpose-built Olympic park with indoor ice venues. Twelve new events premier at these Olympics. Including figure skating, luge team relay, ski half pipe, and ski slope style as just a few.  Russian athletes are held at a high regard to bring victory to their country and uphold the tradition and history.

The potential for violence is over whelming for the games. Terrorist threats for the Olympics have already happened These threats come from the same group who took credit for another bombing that killed 31 people last month. The threat stated “We’ve prepared a present for you and all tourists who’ll come over. If you will hold the Olympics you’ll get a present from us for the Muslim blood that’s been spilled.”  Vladimir Putin, Russia’s president said to CNN, he has a “perfect understanding” of the threat. He claims that all big sporting events like this are bound to attract terrorists.  The Boston marathon is the most recent example of that.  Putin has made a pledge that all visitors will be safe.  He states, “There will be security measures that are planned to be not too conspicuous but effective.”

Everyone is worried about the Olympics has promoted a debate whether Americans should go. According to Amanda Cochran, a CBS news reporter, there are many different opinions and dangers.  Michael Morell, a former CIA deputy director said to CBS, “that he would go, and take his family, “ but that these Olympic Games are the most dangerous yet.  An opinion from Michael McCaul, House Homeland Security Committee Chairman copied his side of the debate, on CBS “I would say we should not scare people from attending the Olympics, It’s a time-honored tradition. If we do not support our team and show up, I think the terrorists are winning and I think that’s what they’re trying to do here.”

The security for the facility is made up of 40,000 Russians. The trouble is outside the stadium. The Americans athletes have been asked not to wear their USA logos outside the arena. According to Morell the terrorist group has been around for a long time and is “capable, dedicated, determined.”  Those who do attend the Olympics should be careful and watchful. He told the press,” If somebody put a package down or a backpack down, I would walk away from it as fast as I could. I’d inform security personnel. I’d also watch people’s behavior and if there was anything concerning, I’d walk away.” Security experts fear these games will be one of the most dangerous Games in Olympic history.

About the Writer
Ellie Drees, Digital Editor

My name is Ellie Drees and I love publications. This class let me be myself more than anything  has been. I love running but if I had to I would skip...