The Arrowhead

Filed under Showcase, SPORTS

Warriors Declaw The Bobcats: Homecoming Edition

The Warrior football team rolls past the Bobcats on Homecoming.

High school football is a great way to bring a community together, and on Friday night Warrior fans filled the bleachers at Warrior Stadium from top to bottom on a perfect fall evening as the Waukee Warriors squared off against the Marshalltown Bobcats for the 2015 Homecoming game. The lights lit up the field while Warriors lit up the scoreboard.

Things got off to a quick start for the Warriors as the offense came out aggressively on their first drive and hit the Bobcat defense with a running attack which ended with senior Drew Lienemann running to the end zone for a 4 yard touchdown, putting the Warriors up 7-0 over the Bobcats. The Warriors would get on the board just a few minutes later as senior quarterback Ben Ferkin threw a 77 yard bomb to senior wide receiver Michael Winger which resulted in a Warriors touchdown, making the score 13-0. As the Warrior offense lit up the scoreboard, the Warrior defense stood strong by not allowing any points to be scored by the Bobcat offense and kept the Bobcats in their own territory for the majority of the first quarter.

image

The Warriors didn’t slow down in the second quarter as Ferkin hit Winger again for another touchdown, taking a 20 point lead over the scoreless Bobcats. Senior Adam Rose, who is Waukee’s 2015 homecoming king, was catching balls both on the offense and the defense on Friday night. The newly crowned king is usually catching touchdown passes for the offense, but he switched it up a little on Friday night and came up with a big interception for Warrior defense. Rose’s interception led to a 60 yard touchdown run by Ferkin which was capped off with a spike from the senior captain. Ferkin was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct, but that didn’t stop the Warriors from making the score 27-0. Things were coming to an end in the second half, but the Warriors weren’t done with the Bobcats quite yet. Senior Daniel Ray took it to the house for a 20 yard touchdown with 2:58 left in the second half. The Warrior defense remained to be a great wall that the Bobcats couldn’t get past and kept the Bobcats scoreless for the entirety of the first half. The Warriors went into the halftime with a 34 point lead over the Bobcats.

image

The football team wasn’t the only impressive team at Warrior Stadium that night. The dance team glowed as they put on better moves than the Bobcats and the Warrior Regiment blew the crowd away with a grand spectacle of a show that was both exciting and dreamy.

Despite having a five touchdown lead over the Bobcats, the Warriors wanted to keep the momentum on their side for the second half of the game. The Bobcats came out with the ball in the second half hoping to finally score on the Warrior defense, but they were immediately picked off by Nick Anderson, the senior linebacker. The Warrior offense tried to capitalize on Anderson’s interception, but the Warriors fumbled the ball in the Bobcats end zone giving the Bobcats the ball back. That fumble was the only turnover for the Warriors. The Bobcats started on their own 20 yard line after the fumble and were pushed back to the 1 yard line by the aggressive Warrior defense. The Bobcats would give the Warriors the ball back and within a few minutes and the Warriors were back in the end zone as Ferkin connected with wide receiver Kayde Penn, who dragged a couple of Bobcat defenders with him. Warriors led 41-0. The Bobcats would finally get on the board with a touchdown at the end of the third quarter and again towards the end of the fourth, but by then it was far too late for them. The Warriors would end up winning 41-14.

image

During Coronation on Thursday night, Rose, the newly crowned Homecoming King, said his favorite thing about Waukee High School was the excellence of the staff and students. Homecoming Queen Sara Wadle said her favorite thing about the community was all the smiling faces. There was nothing but smiles and excellence on Friday night coming from the Warrior community on Friday night at Warrior Stadium. One game brought the best out of an entire community as the football team, dance team, and band showed excellence on the field while the fans showed excellence by smiling and having a good time cheering on all the Warriors on the football field, and that’s what homecoming is all about. The Warrior football team improved to a 3-2 record and hopes to keep their hot streak going as they travel to Urbandale next Friday night.

Photos by Allison Long