The Arrowhead

Filed under Showcase, SPORTS

Warriors Fall Victim to Tiger Attack

Excitement and baby powder filled the air as the Waukee Warriors stormed the field of Valley Stadium to take on the Valley Tigers. Unfortunately, that excitement didn’t last long for Warrior Fans.

The Tigers came out firing on all cylinders in the first half by lighting up the scoreboard on offense, shutting the Warriors offense down on defense. Rain may have been coming down in the first quarter but the Tigers were on fire. Tigers Quarterback Rocky Lombardi rushed for two touchdowns in the first quarter, one of which came after a fumble by the Warrior offense in Warrior territory, and threw a 78 yard touchdown pass to teammate Austin Hinkle, quieting the rain soaked Warrior crowd. By the end of the first quarter, the Tigers were up 20-0.

Things didn’t look much better in the second quarter when Lombardi started things off by running a yard into Waukee’s end zone and giving the Tigers a 27-0 lead. The Warriors offense continued to struggle in the second quarter and were held back by penalties and dropped passes. However, the Warrior offense finally showed some life with 28 seconds left in the first half when senior Quarterback Ben Ferkin connected to wide receiver Adam Rose for a 2-yard touchdown pass. Waukee was on the board, but Valley was still up 27-7.

Things started looking better for the Warriors in the third quarter when a more inspired defense came out on the field and kept the Valley offense scoreless for the entirety of the third quarter. The Warrior defense stood strong as they managed to get a couple of three and outs, and a huge stop on fourth down which would later lead to 44 yard drive by the Warrior offense capped by a 14 yard touchdown run by Ferkin himself, making the score 27-13. By the end of the third quarter Valley’s lead was nearly cut in half.

Valley didn’t stay scoreless for long. A couple of penalties and a tough defense from the Warriors held the Tigers on the Warriors eleven yard line on a third down play, forcing the Tigers to kick a field goal that would put the Tiger up 30-13. By the end of the game, the Tigers’ running game was too much for the Warriors to handle. Valley’s Running-Back Jevon Mason took off for 35 yard touchdown with seven minutes left in the game making the score 37-13. With one minute left in the game the Tigers returned to the end zone for a two yard touchdown making the score 44-13, putting the final nail in the coffin. In the fourth quarter the Tigers came out running and they left the Warriors in the dust.

It was a disappointing start for the 2015 Warriors football season, but there are still many games to be played. The next Warrior game will be on Friday September 4th at 7 pm when they take on the Southeast Polk Rams.