The Arrowhead

Filed under Showcase, SPORTS

A Purple and Gold Weekend

UNI's Seth Tuttle kisses the trophy after a win against the Illinois Redbirds this Sunday. (Photo from foxsports.com)

The sound of the clock counting down rung in the player’s ears. Sweat slid down the crooks of their necks then fell onto the polished floor. The area shook as the crowds bellowed and stomped for their winning team, both embellished with purple and gold.

Pride clung to the chests of Waukee fans after Waukee’s history-making win at Wells Fargo Arena. The Girls’ Basketball team blew the crowd away with an amazing victory over the Valley Tigers in the 5-A state tournament. When Sunday rolled around, the boastful ego’s of Iowans grew even bigger with UNI’s upset.

As half time came to an end in the final game of the Missouri Valley Tournament, the Illinois Redbird’s stood over the UNI Panthers with a lead of 18 points. For UNI fans, it looked like the beginning of a nightmare. Suddenly, as if UNI flipped on a switch, the defense turned around and the offence broke out of the drought as they became the ultimate underdogs of the tournament. The Panthers dominated the second half, scoring point after point, shot after shot. They came out of the locker room with hope then ended with a sparkling trophy with 69 points over the 60 of the Illinois Redbirds. March Madness clearly lived up to its name as the UNI Panthers squelched the morals of the Redbirds and their fans with this game.

Purple and gold are in season this spring for both Waukee and UNI.

About the Writer
Leah Doyle, Reporter
Welcome to our website! I am Leah Doyle, and I am a senior at Waukee High School. This is my third year in Publications, and my third year as a Business Editor. I organize and sell ads in order to fund all of our publications: The Echo, The Arrowhead, and The Arrowhead online. Contact me...