The Arrowhead

Filed under SPORTS

Warrior Wrastlin: A State Wrestling Recap for Waukee

Jakob and Nathan stand proudly as the only two state qualifying Waukee wrestlers.

Ellie Drees

Ellie Drees

In Iowa the most competitive sport is wrestling. Most of Waukee’s population is aware the Iowa high school state wrestling tournament took place this past weekend (Feb 19-21st) at the Wells Fargo Arena, downtown Des Moines.

For those that weren’t informed of the difficult three day meet, the warriors sent two talented wrestlers into this marathon of a tournament. Jakob Allison, a junior, matched the placing he received last year of second best in Iowa for the 3A weight class of 106 pounds. After three grueling matches, Allison unfortunately lost his momentum on the fourth match against a Fort Dodge, wrestler.

“I wasn’t as happy as I was last year, mostly because I was expecting to win this year,” explained Allison. Understandably, Allison was wishing to perform better than he did last year, however a freshman from Fort Dodge was too big of an obstacle.

“At first I was not happy, but now I am pretty happy with how I did,” claimed Allison. Allison realized that nothing is guaranteed ,and cockiness can be a detriment at the state tournament. Allison’s goal for this year was to win state; even though he fell slightly short, he still believes it to be an incredible accomplishment. It is understood that Allison will put his lessons learned and this year’s experience to use next year in hope of his deserved state title.

Along with Allison, Waukee also sent senior Nathan Jacobsen to Wells Fargo this weekend. Jacobsen had a rough journey this season with a significant shoulder injury and hip injury however he managed a second place finish at districts qualifying him for the state tournament. Although Jacobsen fell short of placing, it is still an accomplishment to make the state tournament. “Waukee has never sent more than three people to the state tournament before,” stated Allison. With one of the hardest districts in the state, it is a tough obstacle to over come districts and reach state. Unfortunately, Jacobsen was matched against an eventual state champion. Along with a fourth place finisher, a sixth place finisher, and an eighth place finisher. It is safe to say that Jacobsen was dealt quite a difficult lineup.

Although Waukee’s state team consisted of only two competitors, these two athletes are forces to be reckoned with. “I’m proud of the guys and what they did…and I’m also proud of them for not being happy or satisfied and wanting more,” explained head coach Chad Vollmecke. Unfortunately this was Jacobsen’s last year of wrestling for Waukee. Allison has one more year for redemption. There is nothing but success in the future for Waukee wrestling. Vollmecke stated,”Expect Waukee to have several state placers next year, expect state duals, and expect awesomeness!”

About the Photographer
Ellie Drees, Digital Editor
My name is Ellie Drees and I love publications. This class let me be myself more than anything  has been. I love running but if I had to I would skip to make sure everything is ok in this class. My classmates have become really good friends, almost like family. Mr. P has become my...