The Future of Virtual Reality

April 20, 2021

Experiencing virtual reality is progressing fast and growing faster. Headsets are becoming cheaper and more games are beginning to support virtual reality. Valve, a video game company worth $10 billion, recently released Half-Life Alyx, the first mainline Half-Life game released in 13 years, for virtual reality. The VR scene is growing and more gear is being developed to enhance the experience of users.

Virtuix’s Omni is a VR treadmill and a stand-alone VR Headset. The company referred to the hardware as a peloton bike for gamers, and they aim to release it to the market in late 2021. The Omni allows the player to walk in the virtual world using their legs without moving locations in the real world. Ekto One Robotic VR Boots will allow the player the same luxury but with only boots. They’ve launched a Regulation A Funding campaign to spread awareness to consumers and gamers of their revolutionary product. Investors have a chance to earn a discount after investing. Developers and engineers are finding many different ways to further the development of VR and increase its accessibility and reach by cutting costs and improving performance. One of the most prime examples is the Oculus Quest 2. 

The Oculus Quest 2 is a stand-alone virtual reality headset, with no cables required and all of the electronics are built inside. Compared to the first Oculus Quest, the Oculus Quest 2 is smaller, lighter, more powerful and cheaper. The Oculus Quest 2 has a better screen with 1832 by 1920 pixels per eye. That’s a big improvement from the first Oculus Quest with 1440 by 1600 pixels per eye. The Oculus Quest 2 has an optional cable that can be bought to connect the headset to a computer, which means it can play games on its own or games from the computer. Will Greenwald, Senior Analyst of Consumer Electronics for PCMag gave it his editor’s choice.

“The Oculus Quest 2 improves on nearly everything from the original at a more affordable price,”

wrote Greenwald. The Oculus Quest 2 can be bought online and in stores at a retail price of $299. Due to the decreasing prices of virtual reality gear, educators have taken advantage of the new technology to help push their students.

Virtual reality is becoming extremely popular in the video game industry; however, educators are finding a way to utilize virtual reality to better the learning of their students. People have found VR is an incredibly useful tool. Virtual reality immerses students in what they’re learning which motivates them to fully understand it. With the headset on, it was still easy to forget they were in a fake world. It engages the mind much more than usual. It’s been a commonly known fact that most students learn best by doing. Virtual Reality in education doesn’t feel like work and that’s what attracts most students. Educators around the world are using VR to help their students. VR is being used to help teach students with special needs in the Jackson School in Victoria, Australia. Students studying criminal law at the University of Westminster get to hunt for clues in a 3D environment. The students can walk around and judge whether a witness could have seen the crime rather than only reading their statements.

The Virtual Reality scene has many things going for it. Optimizations are made and dreams are coming true with the development of VR. As time passes, Virtual Reality proves itself to not be another fad but a new contender in the world of technology.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Future of Virtual Reality”

1. Borislav Ratimirovic on April 22nd, 2021 9:16 AM

i wish there was cowboy VR game… always wanted to be john paul chevrolet from wild wild west

*