Fa-la-la-la-la-la-la Too Soon?

October 27, 2020

With the holiday season coming around the corner, it is only a matter of time before the holiday music starts playing non-stop on the radio. Whether you start listening to holiday tunes in early December or all year round, it is time to find when people start listening to festive music. 

Many radios start playing holiday music around the time of Thanksgiving, and many popular (moderately non-religious) songs include, “All I Want For Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey, “Last Christmas” by Wham!, along with “Baby it’s Cold Outside” by Idina Menzel. These songs, among many popular others, are continuously listened to during the holiday season, starting around early November and ending in late December or early January. 

According to sophomore Logan Cooper, “Christmas music should be listened to in December and a little in November is fine.” Another sophomore, Sarah Alimami says “Only after Halloween, and stops after New Years.” Some students have even said that it is acceptable to listen to holiday music all year round. Sophomore Helena Goad says, “I don’t care what anyone else says, holiday music can be listened to anytime you want. Just close your curtains, put some apple spice in the kettle, and turn on your music. Bam, it’s Christmas.” 

Sophomore Lilly Froehlich says, “I think the best time to listen to holiday music is after Thanksgiving because that’s about the point when you know it’s gonna be cold and wintery for a few months and need some holiday cheer.” The majority of students say that some time in between Halloween and Thanksgiving is the time to start listening to holiday music. Stopping in early January is common, due to the normalities of when the radio plays holiday songs, early November to early January. 

While many people listen to Christian themed songs, many songs are not Christian. “Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel” is an old song that has many different variations over that years, “Chanukah” by Adam Sandler, and “Light One Candle” by Peter, Paul, and Mary are all popular Jewish songs for Hanukkah. These songs are typically listened to close to the time of the holiday, and Hanukkah occurs in mid-December. 

For many, it doesn’t feel like the holiday season until these common songs start playing everywhere. While it is hard for people to avoid getting catchy songs stuck in their heads, holiday music always seems to brighten up the cold and dreary winter season with their lively beats and heartwarming words.