Mental Health in Quarantine

October 8, 2020

It is no wonder that after staying at home for five months straight, mental health has been affected in many. Some people have considered this an extended vacation, while others are stressed and anxious about what is to come. But among a handful of anonymous students at our school, there is one common fact, School is a stressor.

On a google form, several students were asked to describe their quarantine, and the majority answered that their quarantine was “boring” or “uneventful”. It is not hard to see why, with most stores closed and everyone at home, it is nearly impossible to gather friends and have fun. Not to mention many vacations were canceled, and with nothing to do, people stayed at home most of the time.

The cause of our boredom maybe the term “social distancing”. “While “social distancing” is still widely used, it may be sending the wrong message and contributing to social isolation (geisinger.gov).” It has a psychological effect of making us feel as though we can not reach out to others and must be alone socially. The term physical distancing is much better for one’s well being.

Almost everyone has been doing hobbies and activities to pass the time. Some hobbies included; reading, exercise, drawing, photography, and social media use. It is important to do things and to keep yourself busy so you do not get too bored. Spending time on an activity that you enjoy can improve your mental health and wellbeing. Research shows that people with hobbies are less likely to suffer from stress, low mood, and depression. Activities that get you out and about can make you feel happier and more relaxed (Headtohealth.gov).”

The students were asked if their stress had increased, decreased, or stayed the same and there were a variety of answers. Some people had a relaxing time, and others were nervous about many different things. When asked about the cause of their stress, around half of the students said that they were concerned about older family members and stress about their well being was very common. Anxiety for an elderly family was significant because, at this point, we all have been affected by COVID-19 in some big way.

And yet, many students said they were stressed from being too close with their family. Being cooped up at home with your parents and siblings for five months has taken its toll, causing lots of fights at home, as well as pressure about attentiveness and grades in school. 

The most common stress cause among students was a concern for the school year. Whether it is online or in-person school, most people have been anxious about it. It is not hard to see why online school is completely new this year. In-person school is very different from last year, masks and physical distancing in mind. Not to mention all the sophomores are new and are stressed because they do not know the building very well yet. 

Whether you are still at home with online school or are in the building learning in person, this all affects us. Remember to stay safe and wear your mask correctly.