Dr. Buck’s Return

September 25, 2019

The Waukee Community School District is growing and changing rapidly. With this growth comes changes to the staff at the district office. Dr.Brad Buck is the Waukee Community School District’s new superintendent. Dr. Buck is coming into this position following last year’s controversies around spending and overall district oversight. Dr. Buck has big plans and goals for the upcoming school year, including working hard to restore the public’s trust, while ensuring that Waukee is on the right track to reach its full potential.
In 2018, the Waukee audit report was published. The public learned about financial mismanagement among the district’s leadership. Shortly afterward, the existing superintendent announced her retirement effective at the end of the 2018-2019 school year. A search for a replacement began and Dr. Buck was ultimately named the district’s new superintendent.
In last year’s audit report, Dr. Buck acknowledged that “Waukee is a great place; it could be an even better place. So what I have heard from a lot of people is let’s just move forward.” To make the Waukee School District the best place it can be, work will need to be done by all the members of the district. “Coming in knowing overtly that you have, and I have, and the team has a responsibility to make sure [that] we are making connections and acting in ways that are aligned with [goals] is what we believe and [is] how we’re going to behave,” Dr. Buck stated.

“Waukee is a great place; it could be an even better place.”

There are currently 2,250 students at Waukee High School. Being in such a large school comes with many challenges. Dr. Buck offered advice for students managing such a large school. “How do you find your niche? And get connected in a way that makes sense for you? That might be activities, that might be athletic, that might be academics, that might be clubs, whatever that might be for a student,” he stated.

“How do you find your niche? And get connected in a way that makes sense for you?”

For the upcoming school year, Dr. Buckhas three main goals for the district. His first is to listen and be engaged. By listening to the community, Dr. Buck will understand their concerns and hopes for the district. It will help him implement plans that will benefit the wants and needs of the community.
Dr. Buck’s second goal is engaging in further discussions about opportunities for students. Waukee has done work with APEX, School-to-Work, AP and dual credit courses. An area for continued opportunity and growth is bringing a technical education program to Waukee, which would expose students to careers as plumbers, electricians, and machinists.
The third and final goal is to be transparent, reconnect and rebuild trust. These will help with rebuilding trust within the community.
Throughout the interview with Dr. Buck, the passion and love he has for Waukee were unquestionable. He ended the conversation with a powerful statement. “I get a little bit, right now even as I’m saying it, a little choked up. It’s hard to explain what Waukee means to me and what it has meant to my family and what it’s going to continue to mean to our family. This is just an amazing place and I’m thrilled to be back here serving and leading.”

“This is just an amazing place and I’m thrilled to be back here serving and leading.”