Back to Article
Back to Article

“What the [email protected]#k?”

“What the [email protected]#k?”

“What the [email protected]#k.” Walking through the halls and hearing the F-bombs doesn’t seem to faze teens nowadays, rather making them laugh when they see a fellow classmate in a questionable situation. Curse words are now are ubiquitous at WHS. Cursing has lost its shock value over the years. Many children were told by adults that cursing was forbidden. Children would easily get triggered when they heard a curse word. Usually you would hear “oooh you said a bad word I’m going to tell the teacher.” Now even children are starting to see cursing as normal thing humans do.

Many words that used to be forbidden have been impoverished and mainstreamed. Non-network TV allows profanity. Social media is full of vulgarism. People say whatever they want and have accustomed to the use of profanity in their daily lives. Benjamin K. Bergen, author of “What the F: What Swearing Reveals About Our Language, Our Brains and Ourselves,” explained “The only words that retain their potency are slurs: The N-word. The F-word to deride homosexuals. Young people are more aware and sensitive to such language, so it remains taboo.”

So, why do teens swear so much? According to New York psychology professor Dr. Francis Compton, who spent more than 30 years studying and understanding the social behaviors of adolescents, “Many young people resort to swearing as a means to try to demonstrate their level of maturity.” A study that Compton performed on children and adolescents showed that the majority of kids said that “using mild or moderate curse words, often heard on television, was not actually swearing,” Compton stated, “In fact, many felt that vulgar slang or profanities heard on television were a normal and acceptable aspect of everyday language.”

Sophomore Danait Zaid commented, “I think people curse because it really allows them to show their emotions. When I curse it’s usually because I am very upset about something.” Psycholinguists say that “taboo words communicate emotional information more effectively than non-taboo words and allow us to vent anger without getting physical.”

In Emma Byrne’s book, “Swearing Is Good for You: The Amazing Science of Bad Language” it explains how swearing helps tolerate pain better. Byrne explained “A possible reason for this is that it stimulates the body’s sympathetic nervous system—that’s the system that makes your heart pound when you are in danger. But we have yet to understand the power of swearing fully. Swearing seems to be a form of emotional language.” Swear words are an important aspect of any language it the way people use it that can be harmful. Swear words are used so a person can express extreme anger, rage, surprise or even happiness. Swearing is just another way to express our emotions, even though it might not be the smartest way to do so.

A problem occurs when people over use swear words. It takes away the shock value of the words and makes them ineffective. A person that swear a lot also loses respect from other peers because of their vocabulary preferences and they might not be seen as an honorable person. There are thousands of other word someone can use to express how they feel. Sophomore Haneen Al Hatmi claimed, “Sometimes saying a swear word just helps me release my anger. But I don’t do it often and I also don’t like people that constantly swear because that’s unnecessary.” All in all, swearing is something natural to the human nature but when people over use curse words or perhaps use them in the wrong context that they become inadequate.