The Arrowhead

New York Reproductive Health Act

Audra Wilkinson, Reporter

In 1963 over 250,000 citizens crowded in Washington D.C. to hear Martin Luther King Jr. give his famous civil rights speech. 56 years later Americans are still gathering among D.C. fighting for civil rights, this time for the unborn.

Tuesday, January 22, New York signed a new act legalizing third-trimester abortions allowing women to terminate the pregnancy at any time up until delivery. Governor Andrew Cuomo signed the New York Reproductive Health Act in a room filled with applause. After, he stated, “Today we are taking a giant step forward in the hard-fought battle to ensure a woman’s right to make her own decisions about her own personal health, including the ability to access an abortion. With the signing of this bill, we are sending a clear message that whatever happens in Washington, women in New York will always have the fundamental right to control their own body.” But, Governor Cuomo caused anger throughout the country with the signing of the act and the incorrect statements made to justify his decision.

Just four days earlier, over 100,000 Americans spent their Friday marching across Washington D.C. to protect the rights for the unborn. This year’s attendance surprised many with the number of young advocates participating. Ben Shapiro, a political commentator said,  “The focus on the pro-life movement among young people has never been religiously based. But the truth is the real momentum in the pro-life movement is that young people have seen 3D ultrasounds, 4D ultrasounds. [They] have actually seen the pictures. We now know what babies look like in the womb, we now know what developmental stages the babies go through and that’s a really convincing argument to young people.”

A young activist on lifeteen.com claimed the New York Reproductive Health Act is unconstitutional. Natalie Tansill stated, “When a woman makes a decision to kill her child by having an abortion, that decision doesn’t affect only her body, but another person’s. That choice infringes the rights of the child for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

The theme for this year’s 46th annual March for Life was “Unique from Day One.” The crowd focused mainly on the science behind the topic. Marchforlife.org stated, “Being pro-life is not in opposition to science. It’s quite the opposite in fact! Medical and technological advancements continue to reaffirm the science behind the pro-life cause – that life begins at fertilization, or day one, when egg meets sperm and a new, unique, human embryo is created.”  Shapiro also commented, “Every scientist says that human life begins at conception. That means all the arguments made by the pro-choice side are really not arguments about the baseline science. It’s just arguments that are couched in terms of which human lives are unworthy of being protected.”

According to abort73.com, in 2017 the United States had 882,000 abortions. The country is strongly divided on the issue, an issue that is no longer concerning women, their bodies or their rights. This issue is concerning America’s future and determining who obtains their natural civil rights.