Girls In Football

November 15, 2018

Women are now allowed to do many things that back then were prohibited for them to do. For instance, women can now vote, drive, serve on jury, become astronauts, attend an ivy league university, and even serve as permanent members on the military. So playing football seems like a pretty much a given… right?

Some people may still disagree and say women are not built as strong as men and do not have enough strength to play against men. As stated in livestrong.com, men naturally have a higher percentage of lean muscle mass than women. Girls playing against guys can lead into serious injuries. Sophomore Myshanna Ritchie claimed, “Football is a rough sport, I don’t think it would be the best idea to let girls play football. The majority of guy football players are big and tall, don’t get me wrong girls are really strong too, but playing against guys twice their height and body mass can lead into serious injuries. Let’s face it that 80% of girls are smaller than guys. It’s not that they’re not capable of playing football it’s just the injuries they could receive.” Sophomore Wyatt Heston suggested, “Maybe make a football team for girls to play against each other, they don’t necessarily have to be playing against guys.”  

Football is a rough sport, I don’t think it would be the best idea to let girls play football.”

— Myshanna Ritchie

According to the Sports and Fitness Industry Association, of the 5.5 million Americans who report playing tackle football, 596,000 or 10.9% are female. So why aren’t more females joining football teams? As stated by David Mills from healthline.com, during the past decade there has been an average of about 4 injuries per 1,000 athlete exposures in competition for nine sports combined, but for high school football players, “the rate of injuries during competition has ranged from 11.26 to 13.52 injuries per 1,000 athlete exposures.” These statistics show that football is the most violent sport and some girls say this stops them from joining a football team.

Sophomore Noor Ridha explained, “Football is a very aggressive sport and I enjoy just watching games rather than imagining myself playing against 200 pound guys. But by all means if a girl thinks they have what it take to play football I wouldn’t stop them.” Sophomore Grace Carlson agreed and added on, “girls are capable of doing anything men can do, let them do whatever they want, why does there have to be a specific gender that plays one sport.”

If a girl wants to play football, and has the skill set needed, they should not be stopped from joining a team.”

— Caleb Paulus

Sophomore football player Caleb Paulus stated, “If a girl wants to play football, and has the skill set needed, they should not be stopped from joining a team. But, they can’t expect any special treatment from the other players. They have to be ready to be tackled, pushed around, get hurt, football is not a gentle sport.”      

All in all, nothing is stopping girls from joining a football team there are just some difficulties they face being girls. But that doesn’t stop some girls from joining football teams and learning how to tackle stereotypes.