The Arrowhead

Midterm Madness

Back to Article
Back to Article

Midterm Madness

Ben Jordison, Reporter

The leaves have fallen and summer is officially in the rearview. With the changing of seasons brings upon the time of the year where political advertisements inevitably rain down on T.V.’s and newspapers. The Midterm Elections are right around the corner. On November 6th, 2018, Iowans will vote for members of Congress, members of the House of representatives, one third of the Senate, and the Governor. Midterm elections take place halfway between presidential elections and decide which political party will control the chamber of congress for the next two years.

Out of the senior students here at Waukee, only a handful of them will be eligible to vote this November. Senior Jack Barth explained his knowledge on the elections. “In Iowa we are electing people for the Senate and House. Yes, I will be voting.” Barth continued to note, “Everyone should vote so we have the right people representing our state.”

Everyone should vote so we have the right people representing our state.”

— Jack Barth

A majority of teens are either severely misinformed about politics or simply do not even care enough to put forth attention to them. A poll conducted on the Waukee Arrowhead Twitter revealed that out of 20 students, 35% will be voting, 50% will not be and 15% do not even know what the Midterm elections are. “I feel many kids aren’t educated about politics, so it really confuses them,” Barth claimed.

Assistant Principal Gerald Hiesterman referenced his own youth and suggested why some students might not vote. “They’re worried about what’s going on on social media and what their friends are doing instead of looking at how they can make an impact for their country.” He added, “Back to when I was 18, I wish I would of put more importance to diving into this country and how we can best support it.”

Back to when I was 18, I wish I would of put more importance to diving into this country and how we can best support it.”

— Gerald Hiesterman

Junior Cade Buscher is not yet 18, but he believes voting for our state officials is crucial. “It’s important because generally you hear people complain about who wins elections and whatnot, but you can’t complain if you don’t vote or [give] your input, because your word doesn’t matter if you’re not actually voting for what you want,” Buscher stated.

Hiesterman urges students to really look into the candidates running and get an idea who they are voting for, “Make a decision of what aligns with your values, and what you want to see this state and country grow into during your time.”

It’s important because generally you hear people complain about who wins elections and whatnot, but you can’t complain if you don’t vote or [give] your input, because your word doesn’t matter if you’re not actually voting for what you want.”

— Cade Buscher

In the race for Governor, Republican Kim Reynolds and Democrat Fred Hubbell are running. Reynolds, the state’s current Governor now has the opportunity to reelect for a full term after being appointed by Terry Branstad who became President Trump’s U.S. Ambassador to China in May of 2017. Other positions being elected in the 2018 Midterms consist of; Secretary of Agriculture, Attorney General, Secretary of State, Auditor and Treasurer.

With the wide variety of candidates, making the decision on who to vote for can prove be a tedious process. Ultimately Heisterman advises students on how to make that tough decision, “One: do your research. Two: have those conversations with family, and see around the dinner table to what your family beliefs fall in line with.”

About the Writer
Ben Jordison, Reporter

My name is Ben Jordison and I am a senior here at Waukee. I enjoy taking pictures and making videos, as well as writing.