Would you Change Waukee?

October 7, 2018

Several students and teachers at Waukee have different opinions about how Waukee High School could change or if it needs any changes at all. Some teachers do not think there are big things Waukee has to change but still would like to see some improvements. Speech teacher Mrs. Pleggenkuhle stated, “My first reaction is nothing because I love it. So if I have to think about little nitpicky things, I want a drinking fountain down in our area of the hallway because we don’t have one down here and my students have to go far, far away to fill up their water bottles. And I can’t think of anything else. I love it here. This is my dream job. I love working with students.”

Mrs. Jeschke thinks WHS students and staff are amazing but wishes some were not afraid of trying things outside their comfort zone. She explained, “I think we’re very driven to be successful and I think sometimes our great drive to be successful can get in the way of us taking risks being intellectually curious because we get so focused on doing well. We sometimes are afraid to make mistakes and to open ourselves to the kind of feedback and experiences that we need to keep growing as human beings and that’s students and staff alike. And that’s a generalization and that’s not all across the board. But think if I could change one thing if I had a magic wand I would make it so that everybody here taps into that natural curiosity that they have, that they take risks, that they share their ideas because that how we are all going to stretch and grow and truly continue to be one of the best places in the state.”

Meanwhile, german teacher Mrs. Getting wishes more students would interact with each other and be friends rather than limit themselves to hang with one group and be strangers. She claimed, “The one thing that I would change about Waukee High School is the fact that so many people don’t know each other. I’ve been here for 22 years. And so I was here when it was a much smaller school and everyone knew each other and it’s not that I don’t like the size of our school, I think we have a great school and I like the size. It’s just that I don’t like the fact that so many people don’t know each other.” Mr. Jorgensen claimed that many students don’t get enough time to rest and wished WHS did something about it and therefore stated,  “I would love nap time. I think nap time would do wonders for mental health of students.”

I would love nap time. I think nap time would do wonders for mental health of students”

— Nathan Jorgenson

Spanish teacher Mrs. Bibler thinks it would be great if the buildings were not as separated so the students do not have to go so far for each class, “The first thing I think of is like Waukee is so big… I feel like we kind of are in our own little island of an area like for the world languages department. And so maybe making the actual building more connected between the other departments.” Sophomore Myshanna Richie is on the same page and wishes there was more space at the high school she said “the hallways because he are always crowded” which makes it hard for some students to get to there differents blocks with time to spare.

On the other hand Sophomore Charlie Hernandez wished high school was more like elementary school in some aspects. “Make Waukee lit, like elementary school, I would like there to be recess with playgrounds.” Sophomore Mina Khalil believes school would be more enjoyable for him is there was less homework “School’s lame, make it lit and fun. Like I wish there was no homework and I wish we had better technology.” Sophomore Alex Kline admitted that Waukee’s technology could improve, “More technology, it’s all old and slow. There is not enough of it.” 

In brief, most people agree that Waukee High School is a great environment but not perfect. Many would still like little improvements throughout the school to make it a suitable place for everyone.