Homecoming Expectations v. Reality

October 1, 2018

Homecoming week has just come to an end in Waukee. Waukee had many festivities for homecoming week including; enjoyable dress up days, homecoming pep rallies, the parade, coronation, a football game, and a dance. Many students showed off their school spirit and pride by participating in Spirit Week. Many enjoyed their homecoming week while others were a bit disappointed by the reality of homecoming.

I had a lot of fun matching with my friends, but I thought more students would participate.”

— Haneen Alhatimi

Sophomores experienced homceoming for the first time and might have not known what to expect. Monday was ‘We come together day,’ students throughout the day were seen matching with their friends. Sophomore Haneen Alhatimi stated, “I had a lot of fun matching with my friends, but I thought more students would participate.” On Tuesday, it was time for students to dress up in American attire. All over the school red white and blue were displayed. Sophomore Noor Ridha exclaimed, “USA Day was one of my favorite days, because I own a lot of USA apparel which made it easier for me to participate in because I didn’t have to go out and buy things.” Like expected, many students took part in showing off their USA pride. On Wednesday you could hear laughter from one hall to another and look at memes all over Snapchat, because a number of students decided to dress up as their favorite memes.  

Sophomore Isabel Monaco explained, “I enjoyed how creative people were.” Thursday was beach day and students came in their hawaiian shirts. Friday was spirit day, students decked out in their class colors, but then had to change into USA colors for the homecoming game. Some students were upset because they didn’t get to wear school colors to the game. Junior Josh Weber stated,  “We already get in purple, gold, and black for spirit day and then we all had to change which was super disappointing cause I made this whole costume for spirit day and then I had to get out of it, to get in a dumb white jacket, cause I’m a junior.” Now that homecoming week has passed, Junior Paige Leifried declared, “I expected a lot more out of everyone only some people actually participated, but the people that actually went for it probably had a good time like I had a good time.”

On Saturday September 29th Waukee’s west gym was full of students celebrating homecoming and dancing the night away with their friends. Weber enjoyed the night but thought the music could of been of better quality. “I expected there to be good music, music you can get down with your friends. But, music for this homecoming was trash there were a bunch of slow songs. They just played a bunch of music that wasn’t good wasn’t fun, I wish the DJ had taken the students request I didn’t hear a single students say hey that’s my song like they did last year,” he commented. Leibfried agreed and stated, “There was too much bass so you couldn’t even hear the words and then they were playing country music and older songs… I wish was more current like hip hop.” Students wished their type of music was played so they could dance to song they enjoyed and vibe with the music more. But, overall Weber stated, “I had a lot of fun even with the bad music I had a great time at the dance with my friends, also the decoration were really cool this year.”

I expected there to be good music, music you can get down with your friends. But, music for this homecoming was trash there were a bunch of slow songs.”

— Josh Weber

Homecoming will continue to create lasting memories (good or bad) for WHS students. Sophomore Sally Tran explained, “I really enjoyed homecoming because it’s a time where you can get together with your friends that you haven’t seen all year and it’s really fun.”