Lynch Leads Volleyball Team

September 10, 2018

Danielle Lynch may be new to Waukee, but there is nothing new to her when it comes to volleyball. Lynch is the coach of the Girls Volleyball team, and although it is her first year in the district, she has been involved with volleyball her whole life. “After I was done playing, I didn’t want to give it up so I went and coached at a junior college. Then I went back and got my masters in Sports Management… I knew I always wanted to be involved in volleyball and have it be a part of my life because it was so impactful on who I am.”

I knew I always wanted to be involved in volleyball and have it be a part of my life because it was so impactful on who I am.”

— Danielle Lynch

Lynch moved to Waukee after the passing of her husband’s father in January of this year, her husband taking up the family business. She and her family moved to be closer to her mother-in-law in Johnston, and it wasn’t long before Lynch approached the Waukee School District about a job and became the varsity coach for the Girls Volleyball team. Lynch told, “I got ahold of [the activities director] Coach Deua and said ‘hey I’m interested,’ the rest is history, as they say.”

Lynch attended high school in Canada at a small school called Hafford High School. She then played in North Dakota and Minnesota before coaching at Luther College, a liberal arts school in Decorah, Iowa, for seven years. She enjoys building confidence in young women. “[I like] believing in young women when sometimes they don’t believe in themselves… my high school coach was someone who always believed in me,” explained Lynch. Although she has only been with the varsity girls for half a season, she hopes that she is able to make a strong bond with the team and motivate them like her coach did when she was younger.

The team is just so thankful for everything that they have been given… they know it’s going to make them better, and they’re just top to bottom very wonderful kids to work with.”

— Danielle Lynch

Ever since she was a teenager, Lynch knew she wanted volleyball to be a part of her life. She loved gym in high school, and came to a volleyball practice after her gym teacher invited her to practice. Not long after she joined the team, getting bumped up to varsity in her freshman year. “Even though it was a such a small school, I still felt pretty darn cool… I would go to every game I could just to watch,” Lynch said. She likes the competitive nature of the sport, but also the fun to be had along the way. Coach Lynch also enjoys badminton. She really liked playing it and even taught it for a year, but never veered far from volleyball. “I don’t really like to do anything I’m not good at,” Lynch quipped.

“The team is just so thankful for everything that they have been given. They say thank you after every practice, I’m like ‘guys that was a really hard practice, you got your butts kicked’ but they still say thank you… they know it’s going to make them better, and they’re just top to bottom very wonderful kids to work with,” Lynch commented. Overall she’s enjoyed working with the girls at Waukee, even though it has only been half a season. She hopes that she can grow with the team and help the girls in any way she can, whether that’s giving them life advice or working on their serve.