What Crosses the Line?

February 21, 2018

“You do have this isolated instance where you walk out and see people making out in the hallway or something people don’t really want to see,” Waukee High School history teacher Corey Kopatich stated. Public display of affection, better known as “PDA,” is an issue WHS school has always been divided on. Everyone from students, teachers, to administration have their own opinion on the arising topic and several questioned are ensued from the matter. How frequent does PDA occur in Waukee and what really does cross the line in terms of affection shown?

“I don’t see it often, so I wouldn’t say it’s a major problem, but I definitely see it everyday to an extent,” attested Kopatich. This remains the same for other staff and students here at the high school, but couples insist that nothing too extreme is taking place in the halls. “I mean like we hug sometimes but nothing major,” Junior Shaylee McCullough stated. Her and her boyfriend Evan Rehberg both agree that there are certain areas that should not be crossed in school and that some things can quickly become too riskay. “Like making out, slamming each other on the lockers, making out in the middle of the hallway,” Rehberg affirmed, “That’s just downright disgusting and disrespectful, nobody should see that.”

You do have this isolated instance where you walk out and see people making out in the hallway or something people don’t really want to see”

— Corey Kopatich

Although there have been multiple accounts of students witnessing suggestive actions throughout the school.

For teachers, most feel awkward over the entire predicament and are reluctant to confront students partaking in these behaviors. “I’m not a big fan of PDA in general, you know I don’t think anyone wants to see it […] I just think there’s no place for it in school,” Kopatich asserted. For Rehberg he can see how teachers might view the situation, “They are probably a little uncomfortable, but I mean if it gets to a certain point they might say something […] I just don’t want a teacher to come up to me and be like ‘no hugging in the hallway,’ that’d just be weird.”  

It is clear PDA is taking place at Waukee High School although nothing can be done to stop the matter. It is just asked that students are aware of their limits and what might just go ‘too far.’