All-State Speech 2018

February 19, 2018

Students from the Mime Group “She Gave,” dressed in performance blacks, pose proudly after receiving the All-State banner.

All-State Speech Festival is the pinnacle of the speech season. Hosted at Iowa State University, the festival ranks the “most outstanding” performances of IHSSA (Iowa High School Speech Association)from all across the state. Groups at State contest, previously held at Waukee this year, must be nominated by 2 of 3 judges for their performance to advance to All-State.

At this year’s All-State festival, Waukee Speech Team had a record breaking twelve performing groups. The selection process for an outstanding performance does not end at State Contest. At All-State, the judge picks their favorite performance to be awarded the banner for that category.

The group awarded the banner gets to keep it at their high school for the year until next year’s All-State festival. From there, the banner will be passed onto the next school to be granted the memento by the judge. This year is Waukee’s first time receiving a banner.

It will probably be one of my favorite memories forever.”

“It’s amazing to see all of our hard work and practices finally paid off,” said sophomore Kaylie Carey, member of the Group Mime that received the pennant. Carey claimed she was full of excitement and thrill when they called their name for the banner. “My brain was doing fireworks, it was amazing,” she said.