The Arrowhead

Teenagers in the Work Field

Many of Waukee’s students work long hours after the school day ends. Among the fast food and retail jobs, many high school students are making profit off the hobbies they are passionate for. Whether the subject is education, photography, knitting, or cooking, there is a variety of opportunities.

Business owners from all over are joining Waukee’s growing population, and with that comes the various jobs they contribute. Hailey Oswald, a sophomore, works for a tutoring business called Mindzone Learning. Oswald commented, “I really like kids, so I felt like it would be a better option than working fast food.” She also talked about some of the stress her job can bring at times, “they’re really fun to be around, but it can be a really draining job because you’re moving around a lot and talking to kids a lot. They’re all really funny and have really good personalities,”

A wedding event that was partially planned by Morgan Sickerson.

The jobs students keep provide experience that could benefit future job or career plans. Many of this year’s sophomores are turning 16 within the next few months. Individuals who have turned 16 may now be expected to close down the workplace and work longer hours, as they are unrestricted to later work times. Besides longer hours, a large majority of students with jobs are struggling to keep up with school work amidst their clubs, activities, and sports.

Senior Jackie White currently works at the Elsmore Swim Shop. Similar to many of the people struggling with too many activities, Jackie also has a difficult time balancing her time and schedule. She realizes it can be stressful maintaining so many priorities at the same time.

“When I take hard classes I do have a lot of homework. Then I have to work, and I play sports too, so it gets overwhelming. I use my planner a lot, and I just prioritize everything and work my best. I stay up really late sometimes,” White expressed, “to be successful means to be well rounded and involved and I wouldn’t miss out on that just because of school.”

Sophomore Hailey Oswald works with children at her after-school job.

“School-to-Work is a program through Waukee. Mrs. Heitland and Mr. Carlson team up with businesses for us to work at, and its varying jobs. I am going to APEX dental to look into dentistry and orthodontics because that’s kind of [the career field] I’m leaning towards going into,” explained White. The first term of the School-to-Work program starts at the high school with a class covering the basics of working in the real world to prepare the students for interning. The program introduces new opportunities to gain relatively unfamiliar areas of information that stretch beyond classroom walls. Morgan Sickerson, a sophomore this year, gives her input. “It doesn’t take learning how to do this stuff; it just takes experience,” she stated.

In the district, there are many positions available for high schoolers. Companies are looking for diversity and age differences within their employees. Students looking for jobs this year may want to look more towards their interests with so many businesses opening in the area. Although it may be difficult to juggle all the extracurricular activities plus school, it does provide experience for future opportunities.