The Arrowhead

Hurricane Help

Waukee+High+School%27s+Random+Acts+of+Kindness+club+organizes+a+fundraiser+to+help+the+hurricane+disasters+in+America.+As+a+result+of+such+a+successful+fundraiser%2C+students+go+to+watch+teachers+Kathryn+Mosiman%2C+Chad+Vollmecke%2C+and+junior+Julia+Lemmon+received+a+pie+in+the+face.+
Waukee High School's Random Acts of Kindness club organizes a fundraiser to help the hurricane disasters in America. As a result of such a successful fundraiser, students go to watch teachers Kathryn Mosiman, Chad Vollmecke, and junior Julia Lemmon received a pie in the face.

Terrifying hurricanes are recklessly destroying cities left and right. The storms are severely damaging homes and victims are left in desperate need for help. Hurricane Harvey hit Houston, with an estimated 30,000 people needing temporary shelter, according to CNN. Then, just 16 days later, over six million people lost power in Southern Florida due to Hurricane Irma according to The Boston Globe. Hurricane Maria shattered Puerto Rico, leaving over 70 percent of households without power according to The New York Times. Millions of people worldwide need help from others because of devastating storms.

Students at Waukee High School (WHS) had an opportunity to assist those in need. RAK (Random Acts of Kindness) club ran a fundraiser for hurricane relief efforts. Johnston, Urbandale, Valley, Dowling, and Waukee high schools teamed up to raise money, which was donated to The Red Cross. During lunch at WHS, students took part in the opportunity to donate to hurricane relief, in a penny war format. “There are milk jugs that people are supposed to donate to. If you put in a penny, it’s positive points. Any other coin or dollar is negative points. Whoever ends up with the most negative points gets a pie in their face at the end of the week,” explained sophomore RAK member, Zach Nigg.

A house in Texas is crushed by Hurricane Harvey.

Many students may wonder how much money they should donate to the relief efforts. The answer varies from student to student. “Reach beyond your grasp. It’s probably true that most of us can give more than we think we can,” said Matt Pries, RAK advisor. “If you think you can give 10 (dollars), give 15. If you think you can give five (dollars), give 10. If you think you can give one (dollar), give two. If you think you can give 50 cents, give 75 cents. The idea is, with something like this, reach beyond what you think you can give,” he finished. 

WHS and other neighboring schools can raise a significant amount of money that could be used to help others in huge ways, but it is the students that need to take action. “I would encourage students to donate because it’s going towards a good cause. We are better off right now then they are, so anything would help them. I know that if I was in that type of situation, I would want to receive any help that I could,” shared senior RAK member Grace Foxen. Fortunately, victims are receiving some help from The Red Cross. Tens of millions of dollars have been raised for just Hurricane Harvey by The Red Cross, and WHS helped by impacting many lives.