The Arrowhead

Filed under NEWS, Showcase, SPORTS

Waukee Wins the Bank of Iowa Award

Seniors+Elma+Vojic+and+Logan+Akason+hold+the+Crystal+Cup+with+smiles.+%28Picture+taken+by+Andrew+Tobey%29+
Seniors Elma Vojic and Logan Akason hold the Crystal Cup with smiles. (Picture taken by Andrew Tobey)

The Bank Iowa Traveling Challenge Cup is a year-long, statewide challenge including all high schools that are membered with Iowa High School Athletic Association, Iowa High School Music Association, Iowa Girls’ High School Athletic Union and the Iowa High School Speech Association. Waukee High School students and staff won the award for the third consecutive year due to their outstanding academic achievements and involvement in extracurriculars. This award goes to anyone who stayed home on a Friday night to study, to anyone who attended practice even when they did not want to, to anyone who gave it their all. Waukee will proudly display the Crystal Cup in the school’s showcase.

Senior Elma Vojic receives the Bank of Iowa Award from principal Cary Justmann. (Picture taken by Andrew Tobey)

“Waukee is very excited about the award because it shows success in multiple areas of the school,” Jim Duea, the activities director at Waukee High School, said about the Bank Iowa Traveling Cup. Scoring for the challenge is based on three categories: athletic, academic, and fine arts. A school receives points by performing at a state level and attaining an average of a 3.25 GPA. “Every single one of our sports received academic points,” informed Duea, “Waukee scored 1,635 points to outscore runner-up Pleasant Valley who scored 1,520 points. Waukee’s total of 1,635 is the highest total points accumulated by a school in any class. In fact, Waukee’s totals of 1,635 this year, 1,580 last year and 1,600 points two years ago are the highest three point totals ever posted since the award began in 2007.”

Junior Griffin Parker and senior Aaron McCrary greet the crowd who has gathered to watch the ceremony at Waukee Stadium. (Picture taken by Andrew Tobey)

Elma Vojic was one of the few students selected to receive the award. “They chose me to represent the Girls’ Track and Field team for the award.” Vojic has been a part of the two time consecutive state-winning track team for three years. Not only has she been a part of the team, she went above and beyond and became the team captain and is a part of council as well. Students like Vojic who have gone beyond the standards made this reward a reality for Waukee High School. Congratulations to Waukee High School and to all its students and faculty!