The Arrowhead

Starcatching 101

The Waukee High School fall play takes a different turn from last year’s somber rendition of Dracula. Aiming for a more lighthearted story, this year’s cast is excited for how Peter and the Starcatcher will be perceived.  

“It’s really fun, it’s really imaginative, [and it] is familiar because we know the story of Peter Pan, but this sets up that story,” Nathan Jorgensen, the main director revealed.

(From left to right) Junior Caleb Neese (Ted) and seniors Kyler Johnson (Peter) and Jake Senne (Prentiss) rehearse their roles to prepare for opening night this Thursday.

He continued, “one of the first lines in the show is ‘we ask you to use your imagination to hoist the sails and deck the ships awaiting us.’ Right from the get-go this show is asking the audience to be imaginative.”

This show will not have many set pieces, if any at all. Rather, actors and background characters will make up the walls and cabins and other pieces of the set.   

“Since our set is so minimal we are going to be using a lot of sound effects and lighting to help [the audience] imagine what’s going on,” lead actress Savannah Trotter explained.  

With a moving background that keeps the audience enthralled, the characters also present complex developments.

“With this play, Peter has to face the reality of whether or not he has to grow up or stay a kid, and I relate to that: being a senior and having to face college and being an adult,” Kyler Johnson, starring as the role of Peter, revealed.

Students hard at work during rehearsal.

Understanding and dissecting characters is an important part of portraying a role as an actor or actress.

“[As an actress], I get to become someone different and it’s … awesome to be able to transport the audience into a different time period or location,” explained junior Jackie Johnston.

The actors and actresses add flair and body to the performance, but behind the scenes crew make the show possible.

“Behind the scenes is really where we pull stuff together; there’s all sorts of things happening … in all shows,” began Nawal Awan, actress and crew member.

She continued, “right now I’m in costumes and senior design, and we are fitting people for costumes. We got measurements, [we are] actually sewing some costumes, and we are working towards building our set, figuring out transitions, and building or gathering props.”

Director Nathan Jorgensen instructing his cast members during a rehearsal for the upcoming show.

Backstage effort is the backbone of any theater performance. Countless hours pour into the intricate framework in which the starring actors enthrall the audience. This consists of: props, set design, costume design, lighting, sound, publicity, run crew, ushers, and theater turds.

As junior costume crew member Molly Belvo divulges, “My favorite part is putting in hard work to help make the show better with the details. We are actually making costumes instead of renting them [this year] and it’s a lot more work, but it really pays off because they fit our version of the show better.”

Offstage design is a fulfilling way for students to participate and support Waukee theatrical productions without ever stepping in the stage lights. A relief to those with stage fright or anxiety and additional ways to showcase individual talents for those who enjoy fashion, design, or tech; students dedicate just as many hours and just as much effort to their roles as do the actors. However, some crew members feel equal to the actors.

(From left to right) Seniors Nick Mitchell (Sailor), Jocelyn Smith (Mrs. Bumbrake), Savannah Trotter (Molly Aster), and junior Jackie Johnston (Sailor) during “Peter and The Starcatcher” rehearsal.

“We definitely don’t get as much credit as the actors. One of the crews made a little behind the scenes video, and doing things like that help shine a light on the less seen part of the production like crew,” Belvo explained.

Awan inputs, “I feel as though while working with other cast members and being in the theater environment, we do receive a lot of credit. Although, outside of [the theater] not as much, because people aren’t as aware of all the hours and hours of work being put in by everyone who takes part in any production.”

WHS students will continue to put time and effort into Peter and the Starcatcher. Performances are at the Theater Arts Center in Prairieview on October 5th at 7 PM, 6th at 7 PM, and 8th at 2 PM.